Coffee & Science: Hot Topics in Social and Health Care Integration
SIREN's new virtual biweekly conversation series is live!
We are excited to let you know that we’ve released our first podcast episode and the schedule for the first five live events.
As a reminder, SIREN Coffee & Science is a biweekly series of 30-minute conversations between experts in social interventions research, practice, and policy. Join our live events to hear leaders grapple with thorny issues at the intersection of clinical and social care. You can also listen to the conversations on demand at any time by subscribing to our new podcast channel!
Our events are organized around the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s “Five As Framework”, which defined roles that health care organizations can play in integrating social care. For more on what each of the five “As” means and why SIREN adopted this organizing framework for the series, check out our special introductory podcast episode, where SIREN Director Dr. Laura Gottlieb interviews Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, Professor and Chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics Professor of Medicine at UCSF. Dr. Bibbins-Domingo chaired the National Academy of Medicine Ad-Hoc Committee on Integrating Social Needs Care into the Delivery of Health Care to Improve the Nation’s Health.
Our first set of conversations, running from Jan 22 to March 19, 2021 all focus on Awareness, a category that groups health care activities to identify the social risks and assets of patients and populations. We hope you can join us 9:30-10am PT every other Friday for this exciting line-up:
- January 22: "To Scale or Not to Scale: Social Risk Screening and the US Health Care System" – Anand Shah, MD and Stacy Lindau, MD, MAPP
- February 5: “The Intersection of Racism, Discrimination, and Social Risk Screening in Clinical Settings” – Toyin Ajayi, MD and Monica Peek, MD, MPH
- February 19: “Understanding Patients’ Perspectives on Social Risk Screening” – Elena Byhoff, MD, MSc and David Schleifer, PhD
- March 5: “Building Accountability for Social Risk Screening into State Medicaid Programs” – Sarah Desilvey, DNP, FNP-C and Michael Bailit, MBA
- March 19: “Social Risks vs. Social Needs: Assessing Patients' Interest in Assistance” – Minal Patel, PhD, MPH and Emilia De Marchis, MD, MAS